March 7, 2019 Uncategorized

HVAC systems don’t last forever. At some point, your unit will show signs of deterioration and cause you to spend more to keep it running. If you have been using your furnace or air conditioner for the last 15 years or so, you may notice a constant hike in your heating bills and more frequent need for repairs. This is a clear cut sign that you will need to look for a new system sooner than later.

According to the United States Department of Energy, heating and cooling accounts for more than 48 percent of energy usage in a typical American home. This means that your HVAC systems are your home’s largest energy consumers. With that in mind, it becomes important to you as a homeowner to find the right systems that enable you to get the level of comfort you need while being energy-efficient at the same time.

Here at Marsh Heating and Air Conditioning, we aim to help you create a home that is absolutely comfortable without having to spend too much on your utility costs. We are a licensed heating company in Roseville MN that offers high-efficiency HVAC systems designed by Lennox Industries, one of the highly regarded names in home comfort.

Overview

High-efficiency devices, including HVAC systems are an effective way to reduce energy usage, cut costs on electricity bills, and work to save the environment.

Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER) is a tool used to measure the efficiency of an air conditioning unit. High-efficiency AC units have higher SEERs than standard ones. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) required every air conditioner to have a SEER rating of 14 or higher. Today, some modern units have SEER ratings of 30 and higher.

Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE) measures a gas furnace’s efficiency in converting fuel to energy. A furnace that has an 80 percent AFUE rating can convert 80 percent of the energy it consumes into heat. The other 20 percent is used during the heating process.

A higher AFUE rating translates to greater energy efficiency. The minimum standard AFUE for new furnaces is 78 percent. A mid-efficiency furnace usually has an AFUE rating between 80 and 85 percent, while a high-efficiency unit has a rating between 90 and 98 percent.

Why Should I Invest in a High-Efficiency HVAC System?

Longer Lifespan

High-efficiency furnaces and air conditioners are designed to maximize efficiency through on-off cycles. As a result, they last longer than traditional units. When properly sized, installed, and maintained, high-efficiency HVAC systems can easily last for 15-25 years.

Added Savings

Replacing an older furnace or air conditioner with a high-efficiency one can begin saving you money on your very first bill. Because of their low AFUE rating, older furnaces waste as much as 35 percent of the fuel. On the other hand, high-efficiency units are rated at 93 to 98 percent AFUE, meaning less is being wasted every time it runs. That means it’s better for the environment and your wallet.

As for air conditioners, it’s important to note that the higher the SEER, the bigger the savings. Older AC units operate have a rating of 8 to 10 SEER. New units can be as high as 25 SEER, which will save you 8 to 10 percent per increased SEER point.

Safer Operation

High-efficiency furnaces use outside air for combustion, not the air inside your home. This prevents furnace damage caused by vapors from laundry products, which can corrode furnace components.

Also known as condensing systems, high-efficiency furnaces utilize an electronic ignition system that has been proven safe and reliable compared to old furnaces that use a standing pilot light. This ignition system only uses heat when the furnace calls for it.

Improved Airflow

High-efficiency systems have variable speed motors that ensure sufficient airflow throughout your home. Variable speed motors increase the static pressures in your ducts, giving you more heated or cooled air in every register. In addition to improved airflow, variable speed motors operate at high energy-efficiency levels, allowing you to run your fan year round, filtering the air constantly without a major increase in electricity bills. Improved airflow means more comfortable temperatures in every room, which also helps keep the air healthier and safer.

More Questions? Call the HVAC Masters If you need more information about high-efficiency HVAC systems, call Marsh Heating and Air Conditioning. We will gladly answer all your questions and help you find the right system that meets your needs. We are your top Fridley heating and air conditioning company serving you for more than four decades and counting.