November 8, 2018 FurnacesInfo ArticlesTips and Advice

3 Things to Consider When Buying a New Furnace

A poorly functioning furnace can cause a lot of inconveniences to you and your family. That’s something you wouldn’t want to deal with especially during the coldest of nights. If you have an old, inefficient furnace, chances are, you’re wasting a lot of money on fuel and repair costs. When a furnace is approaching the end of its life, it tends to work harder in order to provide the heating needs of your home.

Your preferred heating company in Champlin MN can help you identify if your existing furnace is due for a replacement. Marsh Heating and Air Conditioning offers expert advice and appropriate recommendations to solve your home’s heating concerns.

Also, if anyone in your family suffers from allergies caused by airborne dust, pollen, mold or viruses, it could mean that you have a poor indoor air quality, possibly caused by an underperforming heating system. Old furnaces are unable to properly humidify and clean the air in your home, which not only triggers allergies but also affects other body organs such as the throat, nose and even the lungs.

Furthermore, older furnaces can develop cracks in the heat exchanger. This results in the discharge of carbon monoxide, a very harmful gas. For this reason, HVAC experts recommend having working carbon monoxide detectors in your home. If there has been a leak of this dangerous gas in your home, you will notice symptoms such as headaches, nausea, irritation of the skin and eyes, and other signs of illness. While opening your windows can help get rid some of the polluted air from your home, but it is critical to call a qualified technician immediately to seal up the leaks and make the necessary repairs.

If you are suffering from any of these issues, consider upgrading to a new, safer heating system. Here are some of the key points to remember before deciding on a brand-new furnace.

Power Source

This is important to identify because you can only purchase a heating system that uses the fuel source your home is prepared for. Some of the available fuel sources for furnaces include:

  • Gas – Gas-fired furnaces use natural gas to heat your home. They are the most energy-efficient type compared to other furnaces.
  • Propane – Furnaces that run on propane oil are way more expensive to operate compared to gas-fired furnaces. Propane oil furnaces are recommended for homes in remote areas with no ready gas connections and limited electrical connections.
  • Electric – Similar to propane oil furnaces, these are also more expensive to operate than gas heating systems. Having said that, since most U.S. homes have electrical connections, they are still a popular type of furnace.

Energy-Efficiency

Since your furnace is easily one of the most important appliances in your home during the heating season, it is also normally your home’s largest energy consumer. If you’re concerned about the operational cost and efficiency of your furnace, be sure you consider its AFUE or Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency. This is the standard measurement of your furnace’s combustion efficiency used by the Department of Energy. If you have a furnace with an AFUE of 85 percent, it means that 85 percent of the fuel is converted into heat while the remaining 15 percent escapes through your chimney or elsewhere. The rule of thumb is that the higher the AFUE is, the more savings you get out of your furnace in the long run.

Proper Sizing

In order to efficiently heat your home, your new furnace needs to have the right size and power for your home’s square footage and heating needs. Your home’s materials will be taken into consideration as well. The reason behind this is that when a furnace is too small, it won’t be able to keep up. When it is too big, it will heat your home too quickly and will often turn itself on and off. While both improperly sized systems present different issues, the problem stays the same: higher energy costs and shorter equipment lifespan. To avoid this unnecessary headache, have a qualified HVAC professional properly size your new furnace.

Ask the Furnace Masters

For more information about furnaces, call Marsh Heating and Air Conditioning. We are your friendly Blaine furnace installation contractor serving you for more than four decades.